Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Midweek: silk and sarongs, and a finish


The Villa Rosa blog hop begins on Thursday.   I'll post all the links.   Visit the guest bloggers and register for prizes!


Unusually warm weather and sunshine Monday and Tuesday (73 degrees!)  meant walks at Sun Lake Forest Preserve and Illinois Beach State Park.  I heard the cranes bugling and got a photo of one of the pair as it flew overhead. 

A follow up to Monday's post about Liz....her daughter called Tuesday morning to say that they'd found more Rotary things and would the club members like them? (Bob was a 50-year Rotarian.)   I know what the daughters are going through with clearing-out and said I'd help "disappear" whatever they don't want to keep.  While I was there T offered me a package of fabric from a trip to Thailand (or a gift from one of their exchange students).  

 

Left: a silk sarong. Center: a cotton batik sarong. Right: a 36" square silk scarf.  Never used, as is the case with so many such souvenirs,  (I have Thai silk from my parents' trip there in the 1990's.)   [As I refolded the fabric I found a slip of paper saying "Thailand from Liz G... and remembered a Sunday when we celebrated "all the children of the world" with food and fabric. I brought a piece of wool woven in Scotland.]

# # # # # 


Barb-the-quilter did a beautiful job on Pinwheel Nine-Patch. I picked it up last week and bound it over the weekend.  76 x 76.

I made the flimsy in 2021. The pinwheels were an RSC block and the nine-patches came out of the bottomless box from the long-ago Block Swapper's exchange. 

This is the AAUW spring raffle quilt.  I looked back in my records and the first raffle was in 2005. I missed 2000 and 2001 so it's the 18th in the series.  The proceeds go to AAUW's national leadership and public policy programs on behalf of the Waukegan Area Branch.  

Linking up with  Midweek Makers  Wednesday Wait Loss


P.S. At the memorial service Liz's ashes were not in an urn but in a travel case -- ready for her final trip.  (Interment, with Bob's ashes, in Colorado.)  

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the fun finish. Fingers crossed it does really well as the raffle quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah but that silk is so irresistible in Thailand! I made a much loved jacket from a couple sarongs, in case that puts you in the mood.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt! I'm sure it will garner lots of money in the raffle. Love the silk from Thailand. I am not sure how I would use it and can't wait to see what you do! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/13/wednesday-wait-loss-371

    ReplyDelete
  4. No better feeling than a finish, and a beautiful one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pinwheel quilt is gorgeous, Nann! Someone is going to be a very lucky winner. I love the travel case for Liz's ashes - sounds perfect for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How kind of you to unburden them of some of the "things" that we all keep. And how special to get the silk and such. Love your pinwheels and how they float so well among the 9 patches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silk is lovely and surprisingly strong. Will be interested to see what you end up doing with it. And another beautiful finish which I'm sure will garner lots of money for the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Pinwheel Nine patch is amazing!!!
    Sorry about your friend - but I think I like her sense of humor!! a traveling case ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.