Monday, May 8, 2023

Weekly update, part 2: the Coronation, wildflowers, and a concert

 As I reported in the previous post, Friday evening and all day Saturday were program-filled.  It's 218 miles to get to Peoria and 218 miles back home.  But there I was, wide-awake at 4 a.m. Saturday.   I tuned my iPad to the BBC and watched the Coronation.  I was captivated by all of it (though I admit I snoozed during the reporters' announcements of dignitaries as they entered Westminster Abbey and the long carriage rides).  

An advantage of such an event in our digital/social media age is that all the details are available online.  I learned about the Diamond Jubilees State Coach and the Gold State Coach. I googled "bearskins and busbys" (did you know that the bearskins are from culled Canadian black bears? but the two are different styles, each with a long history).   

The Anointing with Holy Oil was fascinating.  Here is a story about the formulation of the oil.  Here is the Anointing at Queen Elizabeth's coronation.  What caught my eye was, of course, the embroidered screens set up for Charles' anointing.    

The Royal School of Needlework created the screens.  Here are the details of its design and execution.  The RSN website has stories about other textiles for the coronation -- Camilla's robe, the stoles, the upholstery.   There are links to RSN's works for previous coronations.  Such treasures!

# # # # #



  A couple of sunny, warm afternoons were ideal for walks (Illinois Beach/Camp Logan, Sedge Meadow, and Ethel's Woods).   Clockwise:  trillium, black walnut with girdling, mayapple, trout lily, mayapple bud.

Black walnuts are invasive and aggressive. The girdling will kill the tree.  If they're cut down they'll just resprout.

# # # # # 



Sunday evening  we enjoyed the Lincoln Trio at the season finale for the Lake County Community Concert Association.  

P.S.  Stevens' cataract surgery last week went well.  Follow up to come, and other appointments on the calendar in the coming days.      





  

4 comments:

  1. oh yes the screen was sooo beautiful...my daughter had told me all about it and her description did not even portray the majestic beauty of this piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good when those medical procedures go well. I only watched part of the coronation - mainly from just before the anointing until after he was crowned. Those screens were amazing and beautiful, and I keep wondering if they will be displayed somewhere for people to enjoy such beautiful work. I was also fascinated as they explained each item he was handed, such as the swords, glove, and orb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read or heard much about the coronation -- we were at the beach house and the way the tv is set up makes it a pain to figure out what stations we can get without going through 100s of them. I might find an on line version and check it out. I hope Stevens loves his new vision. Has he had just one done and is now waiting for the second one? My "new eyes" seem to fluctuate a bit from day to day. I sometimes can read without reading glasses and sometimes I can't. My biggest issue is finding the correct power and size of reading glasses so that I can read my music and look up at the director without one or the other going blurry. I may have figured it out with the glasses I wore at rehearsal tonight. Next week is our concert and I need to be able to see close up and distance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit that I didn't watch much of the coronation beyond the highlights that were all over the news. Getting up at 3 am wasn't something I wanted to do, particularly when I was getting a good night sleep-wise.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.