Friday, December 2, 2022

Friday check in: heavens, it's blue + stash report + OMG December

 A quick check in post today.

We revisited Sedge Meadow along the Des Plaines River on Tuesday afternoon.  

Right: interesting fungus, busy beavers.


This is a phenomenon called witch's broom. Wikipedia says it is “a deformity in a woody plant, typically a tree, when the natural structure is change. A dense mass of shoots grows from a single point, with the resulting structure resembling a broom…It is sometimes caused by pathogens.” I’ve only seen it in this forest preserve on the river willows. 

# # # # #


In the studio:  I finished all the units for My Blue Heaven and I'm nearly finished with the blocks.  I tamed the mess in the blue bin.

# # # # # #

The stash report for November:

Fabric IN:   48-1/8 yards, $34, average .71 per yard.

Fabric OUT: 51-/14 yards.

YTD fabric IN: 1766-1/2 yards,$1165, average .66 per yard

YTD fabric OUT: 284-1/8 yards

As I've said, if I can't not acquire fabric I can at least get bargains! 

# # # # # #

My One Monthly Goal for December -- again,  multi-part:

a)  Make an ornament for the exchange at the guild meeting next week

b)  Complete the first three months of the guild BOM 

c)  Begin plans for the MQG modern mini swap.  It's a 24 x 24 quilt, due in February.  I've learned that the design/thought process takes a long time.

d)  Bonus:  assemble My Blue Heaven.

Linking up with Finished or Not Friday and OMG December link up  

P.S.  The hogs were out in the field at the farm on the state line road about a half mile from our house. They are a heritage breed called Red Wattle because they have wattles on their cheeks.  The breed thrive with foraging.    Good way to recycle those Halloween pumpkins!   We haven't ordered meat from them yet.  (50 yrs ago Stevens had a small farm and raised a few pigs and he is still partial to them.)



6 comments:

  1. The blue and white quilt is looking fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's one of my fave BH patterns....really pretty...with cotton prices going up again you are sitting on a fortune nann!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blue quilt, Nann; I hope you get it finished this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on taming to blue scrap bin, Nann! Best of luck with stitching My Blue Heaven into a quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job taming those blues!

    Saw a quote and thought of you...
    Few people know how to take a walk. The qualities are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good silence and nothing too much. ---- Ralph Waldo Emerson

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have lots on hour plate for December. Add in the holiday and you are certainly going to be busy. My grandfather kept pigs, no idea what kind, they were all black.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.