Sunday, July 31, 2022

Weekly update: wondrous wildflowers, a new flimsy, and the stash report

 


Lots of wildflowers on display this week!


Cardinal flower / lobelia was a new one for me. It was growing alongside a stream in a shady patch.    


Coneflowers. The Latin name, echinacea, means spiny and the flower centers are.


Teasel is invasive  This patch was right next to the path so I could easily get closeup photos.  The upper and lower right photos show it in bloom, with all the little tiny flowers.   

The lower landscape photo is the Des Plaines River at Sedge Meadow. The middle landscape photo is one of the ponds at McDonald Woods.  From the LCFPD website: Acquired in the 1970s, the preserve was named after prior landowner, A. B. McDonald. He created a private nature preserve on roughly 295 acres in the 1940s, building three lakes and planting a pine grove and other trees. These habitats, along with the grasslands, provide homes for wildflowers and food, cover for birds and mammals, and respite for humans.

# # # # # # #


Here's the new flimsy!  8" blocks, 64 x 72.  4-7/8 yards used.  (There is no discernable reduction in the homespun stash.)

The stash report for July: 

Fabric out 51-3/4

Fabric in:  10 yards, $6 (a set of cotton sheets and a gift)

Fabric out YTD: 119-3/4

Fabric in,YTD:  1520-5/8, $855 (average $1.78/yd)  [I bought a huge destash in June]


Linking up with Oh Scrap!   Monday Making  Design Wall Monday

P.S.  A dragonfly stayed still long enough for me to take a picture.

10 comments:

  1. that's a pretty finish...sorry no appreciable difference but keep on plugging at it! lovely wildflowers....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the flimsy, the stars are perfect mixed among the 16-patches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing your wildflower photos. We have hummingbird moths around here. Talk about a weird-looking creature ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great top! Good luck on the homespuns. I think they fluff up in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That new quilt is just gorgeous! So are the wildflowers! I've never seen the Teasel before. It's really pretty even though it's invasive. We have an invasive "weed" around here called Canadian Thistle, and it's nearly impossible to get rid of once it gets a foothold. My husband pulled up the long (about 3 ft) root of one last month on the hillside behind our house, and just laid it out to see how long the plant itself stayed green. It took about 10 days and finally a spray with weed killer to make it curl up and die. The purple flower part is pretty, but we try not to let them get that far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laughing over here about your never ending supply of homespuns. I'm happy to say mine is limited to one shoe box. (or is it the next size up plastic box?) The scattering of stars in the 16 patches really makes that top shine. Ah, cone flowers. One of my favorite. If you ever want a cone flower pattern just say they word and I'll mail it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the 16 patch stars is so pretty! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flimsy reminds me I think I have a 16 patch/star made from homespuns UFO that I should get quilted. I like homespun fabric in quilts. Makes them seem so cozy.

    I have tried twice to start cardinal flower for my wildflower garden but so far none have sprouted. The seed is like dust and if I remember correctly needs light to germinate so difficult to start for me. I used to grow teasel for dried flower arrangements and wreaths. Mine was not invasive. It disappeared after a couple of years. I guess it was used in the past to card wool. I have echinacea and soon the goldfinches will sit on the top and pick out the seeds. They never let me take a pic of them doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy your local wildflowers and learning a bit about them. Nice new top. The mix of sixteen patches and stars looks good. My stash doesn't seem to reduce either.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.