Sunday, July 10, 2022

Weekly update: a vintage gift and batik crumbs

We were shocked and saddened by the shooting in Highland Park on the Fourth of July.  Among the victims were the superintendent of one of our local school districts and her eight-year-old son.  (HP is 25 miles south of us.)    

Wildflowers are in abundance!  Our outings this week were to Van Patten Woods, Raven Glen, and Illinois Beach. 

Top: purple prairie clover, purple coneflower, butterfly weed, hoary puccoon, tall cinquefoil, salsify (gone to seed), lead plant, Deptford pink, flowering spurge.

 


I love Turk's Cap lilies.  The photo collage includes a view from directly above and from directly below.

# # # # #




When my high school friend Kathie came to work on the reunion nametags (see previous post) she brought me a gift.  Her grandmother hand-pieced this chambray-and-muslin spool top.  It's 80 x 80.  There are some brown spots but it's otherwise in fine shape. I will enjoy being its new owner.



I've been working on batik crumb blocks this week.  I've made some into HSTs (6-1/2" unfinished).   I'd like to use up some yardage and the turquoise check batik seemed the best choice.  I'm contemplating different orientations.




Linking up with Oh Scrap! Monday Making Design Wall Monday











P.S. Wild raspberries are ripe! We helped ourselves to a sample. They're seedy but tasty.   (You can't harvest or forage in the forest preserve.) 

7 comments:

  1. what a lovely vintage top...great for hand quilting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nann, I'm so sorry about the losses at Highland Park. Sending hugs to you! I love the Turk's cap lilies too and that quilt top is wonderful. Looks very modern doesn't it? I'm loving your batik crumbs! I love the blue with the HSTs! Take care and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a single raspberry cane in the shrubbery around the Aldi car park. I try to park next to it so I can eat the one or two berries between the car and the door. They taste so much better still warm from the sun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I really like all your working on. Our Wild Raspberries have ripened and are
    gone for the year. They were sweet and juicy. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart goes out to the victims of the parade. We, too, had the parade incident last Christmas here is Waukesha. It is so senseless. Love your batik scraps. The blue background is so pretty with all the colors. Can't wait to see your arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty wildflowers! It was a very short wildflower season here in dry, dry, dry So California.
    The senseless killings are shocking--especially of children! Sick sick sick

    ReplyDelete
  7. As horrific as the shooting was, I can't imagine it happening so close to home. The flowers are so pretty, As are your blocks.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.