Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Midweek: I have a notion!


I went to a church rummage sale recently and bought two ziploc bags of rick rack, bias tape, and seam tape for $2 per bag.

I sorted the all-cotton from the synthetic. 


Remember when stretchy lace seam binding/hem tape came out?  And iron-on hem tape? (Fusibles have come a long way since the late 1960's.)


There were many unopened packages in the lot. 

These are Coats & Clark.







Several generations of Wright's.   Did you ever send in three labels and .10 to get "a generous package of trimmings suitable for doll's clothes"?  

Winsome Lady is brand I hadn't seen.  

 










Boiltex was made in Aurora, Illinois.  The company was Creed & Stewart. 


Some of the Trimtex is marked Milford, CT., and some Williamsport, PA. 


J. C. Penney store brand.   There were no Penney's stores in Chicagoland when I was growing up, but both the stores in Brenham, TX, and Pittsburg, KS, had dry goods departments in the late 70's/early80's.


I don't know Nynco, Warren's, or Just Rite but of course Fruit of the Loom is familiar. 
Tidy Trim from the Williamsport Narrow Fabric Co.  (Similar to TrimTex?) 




Two years ago when I made masks (remember that frenzy?) I used up all the packaged bias tape I had collected.  

I still have a lot of vintage trim left and my latest acquisitions are right at home.


10 comments:

  1. Wow, that is quite a collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. trip down memory lane...our jc penney did have fabric as my mother bought some to make dresses for me....and yes i did mail in the $1 and 3 labels to get trimmings and used most of them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings back memories! I think I have some rick rack in my old sewing box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG yes my mom and I would save those wrappers and send them in for trims for my doll clothes!! Thanks for the memory! I have a lot of good memories of sewing with mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd forgotten about rick rack braid. If it makes a comeback you'll make a killing with these.

    ReplyDelete

  6. what a haul!!! I never heard of sending in the wrappers but think that is so cool! I sure do love looking at your treasures! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss the dry goods departments. You had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a haul! I am out of those little cards, which I use to wrap leftover binding around and file by length in a wooden crate. Got a lot of them when we made layettes for Family Services in the Air Force, about a hundred years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a stroll down memory lane! Hopefully you will not need the trim for the same purpose as before, ever again! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love yard sales, church sales, estate sales for this reason!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.