Sunday, February 13, 2022

Weekly update: the swap hits the spot, Rhododendron Trail, and reading


 On Friday afternoon it was cloudy along the lakefront here but sunny in downtown Chicago, 40 miles away.   You can see the skyline along the horizon.   

 

I sneaked in some sewing on Saturday as I participated in two AAUW meetings by Zoom.  Our branch met Saturday morning to hear Dr. Ada Cheng, sociology prof-turned-storyteller talk about her immigrant experience.  In the afternoon the AAUW-Illinois state board held its winter meeting.  So convenient to attend from the warmth of my studio rather than driving 200 miles to Bloomington.








We did go out Saturday night to Waukegan High School. The Lake County Community Concert Assn. presented the Thalea String Quartet. They had tremendous energy and performed an eclectic repertoire.

# # # # # # # # #









My MQG swap came in Saturday's mail.  AMV in Georgia sent this beautiful batik mini-quilt.  It truly hits the spot! 


# # # # # # 

Assembling Rhododendron Trail is one of my OMGs for February.   I spent most of Sunday putting the center together. I hope I can get to the borders this week.  


# # # # # #

I'd heard of Rosalind Franklin and her DNA research that was co-opted by James Watson and Francis Crick. Now I know much more. There was so much to tell that at times the detail seemed forced (I was tempted to count the number of references to Rosalind's New Look dresses) but those details add dimension to the picture of this brilliant scientist who was the victim of blatant sexism and cutthroat research competition.


Linking up with Oh Scrap!    Monday Making    Design Wall Monday

P.S.  I say this every year. 



6 comments:

  1. But you could have come and visited! Just kidding - stay warm and cozy up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm with lady crawley....LOL....and RT is beautiful! i loved the colors she chose for this...and blue ribbon to you for getting it done with gazillion pieces...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH wow, your quilt is so gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That modern swap quilt is really striking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your MQG swap definitely hits the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute mini, Nann!! Best of luck with your RT borders.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.