Saturday, January 1, 2022

The Annual Reckoning and looking ahead

 


As I compose this post on Saturday morning the skies are cloudy. The forecast is for snow this afternoon and evening with accumulation of 5 to 9 inches.  The National Weather Service says,  "Northeast winds could gust up to 40 mph Saturday afternoon and evening, especially near the lake." We don't have to go anywhere today though I had hoped to take a good long walk.

# # # # # #

The December Stash Report:

IN: 101-1/4 yards, $316.24 (One of the LQS had a great post-Christmas sale and I indulged.)

OUT: 37 yards

That leads to the Annual Reckoning. In 1998 I began tracking how much fabric I acquired and used each year. Why 1998? I was preparing to move from North Dakota back to Illinois. As I confronted what I was going to have to pack I thought that by quantifying the stash I could control it. I was mistaken but the counting has continued -- 24 years now.


There were no great de-stashings this year but I did get good bargains at thrift shops. I patronized brick-and-mortar stores, most notably on our October trip to New England.

I finished 32 projects (click on "Flimsy Completion" tab to see the list). There are 16 flimsies in the box, of which 4 are from 2021, 7 from 2020, and 5 older than that.

I've chosen TECHNIQUE as my quilting word for 2002. I want to expand my piecing proficiency, or at least my comfort level, with curved piecing (e.g. Drunkard's Path), Y-seams, wedges, and diamonds, among others. I have acquired several specialty rulers (mostly on sale). It's time to take them out of the packages and give them a go.

Good cheer to you all! (Tune in on Monday for my OMG, RSC, and Rhody Trail progress, as well as book reviews.)


10 comments:

  1. I have a net reduction of 20 yards which I'm happy with. The drawer with the novelty fabrics in actually shuts now so I can see that I am making some impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always impressive. Love your word for the year. So many fun techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In contrast, it is 71 here on the Cumberland Plateau. We have windows open and we will be entertaining neighbors in about an hour on our newly-finished deck! Rain currently not scheduled to be here till after dark, but snow forecast for Sunday. What a weird year of weather. Happy New Year and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing tracking record! Technique - that's a great challenge for the new year. I'll be watching so I can learn along with you. Happy stitching and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very impressive stats i do say....love the vintage card....62 here today and rainy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your technique challenge - and good for you for indulging in that sale!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great word 'technique' for your quilty world. I am going there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a brave woman! I wouldn't dare calculate how much fabric I bought vs used! I'm especially amazed that some years you used about 9x as much as you bought! Yowza!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of focusing on technique. Great idea to push yourself outside of your comfort zone a bit. Your comment about thinking you could "control" the stash made me chuckle. I think those stashes have a life of their own, and would be nearly impossible to totally control.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you, Nann!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.