Sunday, August 22, 2021

Weekly update: challenge completed! and something new

I realize I am jumping the gun with this, but I am so chuffed at my progress that I can't wait.  If you're reading this and you're in my quilt guild, don't look any further.  If you do, don't let on. 

"Birth Month" is the theme for our guild's 2021 challenge:  use the flower and the gem for your birth month.  Maximum size 20 x 21 for the year.    The reveal was scheduled for scheduled for August -- I knew I wouldn't make it because I was preoccupied by the wedding quilt.  But when the meeting room was unavailable for that meeting the reveal was moved to September.  I can do this?  I can do this!

My birthday is June, so roses and pearls.   I could picture my idea:  an impressionistic log cabin, a wild whirl of pinks on a green background with a pearl or two in the center.  

Nope.  I didn't even try.  Another piece of needlework was the inspiration. 

I made this needlepoint pillow in 1979 to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Alpha Gamma Delta, my college sorority. Alpha Gam's flowers are red and buff roses.  (Buff is frequently interpreted as yellow, and that's what I used for the pillow.)  Our jewel is the pearl.  I intended to donate the pillow to the boutique at the 1979 convention but decided to keep it.  Some time later I un-pillowed it. (I never perfected piping that seemed to be how a needlepoint pillow had to be finished.)   The piece was stored in the attic along with a lot of college and young-career memorabilia.  

The 2020 Alpha Gam convention was cancelled due to the pandemic. A Stay At Home convention group sprang up on Facebook.  Sisters posted photos of their Alpha Gam swag. I went up to the attic to see what I had.  This piece came to light along with scrapbooks, files, and other treasures.  I posted a photo to the group and told the story. Someone admired it tremendously.   I offered it to her in return for a donation to the Alpha Gamma Foundation. Done! 

Red and buff roses came to mind when I thought about the challenge quilt. I remembered the needlepoint and searched for the chart in the needlework archive (I still have a couple of shelves though I don't do needlework any longer).  I found many interesting things, but not the chart I sought  Fortunately I'd taken the photo last summer.  I eyeballed the flowers, leaves, and relative proportions, sketched the flower, and here's how it turned out.   Roses? Check.  Pearls?  Take a look. 


 The background uses the leftovers from the elephant parade placemats that I made in March. Pearls come in a variety of tones and colors, from white to yellow to gray.  

The large flowers called for sturdy, long stems.  Running them off the edge meant I didn't have to fiddle with exact lengths.  I made a faced binding. (I attached the binding as usual but rolled it all the way to the back so that it doesn't show from the front.)

Linking up with  Oh Scrap!   Design Wall Monday   Monday Making

P.S. Here's the new project!  More to come . . .


 P.S. 2  Happy 41st anniversary to us!  (8/23/80).



12 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary to you two. Did you go out to dinner or bring something in? We've gotten to the point that we don't do much. We hit 48 years. Good grief. Your Birth Month piece looks great. I like your pillow cover too. But how nice to send it off to someone who liked it -- it'll probably take a place of pride in her house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your challenge piece! Looks like you even quilted pearls into the background. We're celebrating 40 years in September, returning to Seattle where we honeymooned. At the time the airline was having a swell deal -- fly anywhere in the US for a flat rate -- so we picked the farthest destination we could find! Sadly, no cheap air fare this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m always amazed at how much you do! And congratulations on your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! You certainly have been really busy. Thanks for the wildflower photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rose piece looks great. What a fast finish! The botanic garden must have lit the fire to fit 'er done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your birthday challenge piece is fabulous and I loved seeing those pictures of you two lovebirds! Happy anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. perfect idea nann! and i love the new repro quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Roses and Pearls and the story of the journey that took you there. You definitely met that challenge! Don't know what I would make with Daffodils and Aquamarine.

    New Start has a vintage vibe that I like.

    Happy Anniversary! We celebrated 48 years in June.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary. What a clever way to use your older needlepoint. A happy recipient, clear space at home, and a welcome donation to your sorority. Win win win.
    I like how you drew your own roses. So much more fun than just copying off a sheet. And good plan to run the rose stems to the edge then face the quilt.
    Your new project looks great, too. Nothing like cheddar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary to the both of you! Ours is coming in September. It should be a matter of some pride that a couple manages to stay together. Or maybe the mark of a good choice on the part of both parties! Anyway, blessings on your union.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.