Sunday, November 5, 2017

Estate sale treasures

A couple of weeks ago I went to an estate sale in Zion. This week there was a sale at the house next door. It turned out that the earlier sale was the daughter and the later sale was the mother.  One house was post-war, the other pre-war. I imagine that the parents sold the corner lot to the daughter and son-in-law. 

I didn't get there until 2:30 p.m. (sale closed at 4). I got bargains!  I paid $13 for all of this (including a tablecloth I didn't get a picture of).                     



 This advertising map is dated 1990.  The souvenir plate shows  Shiloh House.
I'll give both to the library for the local history collection.
 These fold-up hangers might be from a suitcase or wardrobe trunk.
 A linen towel with designer signature. (I looked it up: made by  Kay Dee

A Marshall Field's tin. Of course I had to get it.



I'm glad I went down into the cellar because I found this.













Look what it goes with!

The blue vase was a souvenir from my childhood. My sister had the red vase (not THIS red vase, but one just like it).  I found the pitcher at a thrift shop a couple of years ago.

I haven't been able to find any information about these. The bottoms are stamped USA and that's it. (Googling "turquoise vase thunderbird souvenir" doesn't come up with anything like these.)   I think these were from a Fred Harvey restaurant but I'd like to get a definitive identification.

7 comments:

  1. I would have jumped at the tin and thunderbird vase, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always find such interesting things. The old tins are always so much nicer than the newer ones. I have one or two from my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's another turquoise one just like yours on Etsy. Look for "Turquoise Vase Vintage Kachina 1950s Arizona Pottery USA Southwestern Style". I'd send the link, but this box probably wouldn't accept a link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll try sending the link anyway: https://www.etsy.com/listing/504766075/turquoise-vase-vintage-kachina-1950s?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=turquoise%20vase&ref=sr_gallery_31

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never find sales like yours. It must be part of your region of the country. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take a pic of the vase by itself and then do an image lookup in google. There are instructions on how to do it....

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.