Sunday, May 15, 2016

Books reviewed and acquired




















 On Thursday  afternoon I gave a book review for P.E.O. Chapter IW. My mother was a member of IW for nearly 45 years. It was so nice to see so many of her friends and to know that they remember her so fondly. 





Norma brought this jar and explained that Mother gave it to her one Christmas (filled with the dry ingredients to make the recipe* on the label). Norma made the bars and kept the jar thinking she would buy more jars and do the same thing. She never did, so 20+ years later she gave the jar to me. 

These are the books I talked about.


I spent Friday at McCormick Place for Book Expo America. BEA is the booksellers' trade show -- a cousin to the ALA exhibits, but with booths for literary agents and all kinds of book production.  I was grateful that my ZBPL colleague Tara drove (Sara from ZBPL came, too) in rush hour traffic both ways. It was so convenient to load a tote bag, put it in the car, and go back for more.  I had a free pass courtesy of the library system (I'm on the board) and we had free lunch in the librarians' lounge on the show floor, too.


Here is cartoonist Berkeley Breathed,signing a poster for an upcoming compilation of Bloom County cartoons.

C&T was part of a multi-publisher booth. Their guest author was Angela Walters!













Here's the swag back home -- a stack for my husband, a stack for me, and a stack that I took to the library on Saturday.


* The recipe: Sand Art Brownies. The mix is layered in the jar like sand art.
2/3 t salt
1/2 c + 2 T flour
1/3 c cocoa
1 c chocolate chips
2/3 c brown sugar
2/3 c white sugar
1/2 c chocolate chips or chopped nuts
Combine the contents of the jar with 1 t vanilla, 2/3 c vegetable oil, 3 eggs. Mix well. Pour into a greased and floured 9 x 9 pan and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.


1 comment:

  1. BEA has to be a librarian's heaven! How interesting to have so many genres of books represented at one event. I need to tell my son about the upcoming Bloom County book.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.