Sunday, August 5, 2012

DWM: time to swap!

I'm pleased to say that I have finished quilting both wedding quilts (as reported two weeks ago)!  Up next:  two wall hangings for the staff of a community agency with which I'm involved.  The presentation is in early September so I need to decide soon what I'll make.


BBS Squares from previous years
The Baseball Swap  began nearly 15 years ago on the Usenet Newsgroup Rec.Crafts.Textiles.Quilting. It's been a YahooGroup since 1999.  Participants swap 6.5" squares of fabric based on the results of Major League Baseball games. Each person can choose a National League and an American League team (or just one). The backers of the losing teams owe the backers of the winning teams. One person keeps track of wins and losses and provides reports after the All-Star break and at the end of the season. Squares are bagged and sent to the BUPchucker--that's "big ungainly package" who swaps everything out. 

Ready to swap: 2012
I back the Cubs and the Red Sox, neither of whom is having a good season. For the first half of the season I'll get 62 for the Cubs but I'll give up 83. I'll get 67 for the Red Sox, but I'll give up 59.  (Actually I give up more because I send 10 squares to everyone. It's easier to count that way and goodness knows I have enough fabric.)
The squares are a great assortment. They come in handy when I need just a little of one color or pattern or another.  
 I cut squares during the year when I'm in a scrap-cutting mood, so I'm ready to go when the reports arrive, which they did this weekend.
I used 60 baseball-themed squares to make a jacket a couple of years ago....but look how many I still have!


Sarah always sent chili pepper fabric

We went to a wedding shower on Friday (for the recipients of the batik nine-patch quilt).  The bride is from Maine, the groom is from Wisconsin, so we gave them something that no one else would have thought of:  Moxie!   I ordered a six-pack and two Moxie-logo tumblers from BuyMoxie.com  and two 12-packs (one regular, one diet) as our contribution to the party fare.  Moxie is definitely an acquired taste, and fortunately the bride said, "I love Moxie!"  Now she can convert her groom.  (It costs a lot to ship flavored water halfway across the country, so we will savor the remainder of the 12-packs.)

If you've never heard of Moxie, you can learn more about it here.

See what other quiltmakers are working on while they watch the Olympics, courtesy of Judy's Patchwork Times.

2 comments:

  1. It is always a wonderful feeling when you finish a project and you have managed two. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the idea of a fabric swap based on your team, I think I would like to do that for football season!! What a great assortment of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.