Sunday, January 4, 2015

DWM and MM: Scrappy Forecast and Grand Illusion

Here's how last week's "Forecast: Scrappy With a Chance of Nine-Patches" turned out.  You may recognize the blue/white/orange units on the right from last year's Celtic Solstice. The green/gold triangle section (left center) is made from leftovers from a quilt I made for my dad in 2000. The border fabric is not a batik, though the saturated colors make it look that way. (Selvage says "Central Park / Phillip de Leon / for Alexander Henry Fabrics / (c) 1996."  I got it at a sale a couple of years ago.)  The flimsy is approx. 59 x 64 and I calculate it uses 3-1/2 yards. I still have many miscellaneous units and orphan blocks.






I finished my 12-block version of Grand Illusion  on Saturday evening. I like busy, scrappy designs and I love the colors, but this doesn't have enough value contrast. I made the sashing blocks too large, but it was easy to cut them down. I attached the yellow inner borders and the side borders with no problem. The top and bottom borders were 2" short. Rather than removing the side borders and cutting down the inner borders I chose to insert a 2" spacer (see the centers of the top and bottom). Sharp eyes will see that the center four-patches in the blocks go two different directions. I am disinclined to rip them out and rotate them. I did measure all the fabric used: 5-1/4 yards.

Here are my nine entries for the January Block Lotto. Each block is 9". I can imagine these set with bright sashing. Lime green? Turquoise?

The holiday break is over. Meetings and other activities resume this week!

Check in with other quiltmakers at Judy's Patchwork Times and Bonnie's  Mystery Monday .

19 comments:

  1. Your Grand Illusion is beautiful. Mine is in progress. I hope to finish mine by the end of next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name for your scrappy orphan quilt. I do recognize some of the units. I haven't even tried to put Grand Illusion together, I was so disappointed with the reveal. Maybe sometime this week I'll get back to it. Like you, I am going small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Grand illusion! I have plenty of quilts with small errors...it's part of being a quilter I guess. I love your Scrappy Forecast too. I haven't put my GI blocks together, still working on sub units. I have seen some great finishes. I'm partial to the high contrast versions like yours where we really see the motion in the block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love your "Scrappy with a chance of 9 patches" quilt! Its so colorful and fun! Your GIMQ looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your "forecast" quilt. I have 2 boxes of orphan blocks that I need to deal with this year. I saw the first quilt like this about 20 years ago in a Marsha McCloskey book and wanted to do one myself. I like the deepness in tone of yours unlike many others I have seen over the years that fill in with lots of light fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The turning center 4-patches give the eyes somewhere to look. Mine is still in block assembly stage. You'll see it in part tomorrow. No sew- Sunday for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Grand Illusion is lovely--and that Forecast is simply amazing! I like busy, bright quilts, too. What a great way to put all those x-tra blocks to use! Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. The name and the scrappy orphans quilt are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like what you did with your mystery quilt borders on the sides with 3 blocks. I am faced with the same issue, as mine is 3x3, and your solution is one of the options I thought of. It's nice to see it done, as it will help me in my decision-making.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your scrappy quilt is wonderful! What memories it holds for you. I really like your mystery quilt. It looks like bright sunshine reflecting off of water. Love the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scrappy with a chance of 9 patches...love it!! Your 'fix' for your Grand Illusion is inspiring. Should the same thing happen to me when I eventually get to the borders, I shall be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Grand Illusion is wonderful! Good job! And the title of the orphan blocks is hilarious, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think both quilts are gorgeous. I especially like the grand illusion and the way it seems to move when you concentrate on one area and then another.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your quilt has plenty of contrast! Nice job on making those borders work out. Mine were too long so I had to lob off some...I am over it, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would think bright pink with the black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've been a busy quilter. I wouldn't worry about those spacer blocks. Until you said something I didn't notice! Nice use of orphan blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Grand Illusion quilt is lovely, very spring like colors. Cute orphan block quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your orphan block quilt, especially the name. Perfect. I am making Grand Illusion in the large size. I'm still assembling the center blocks. I have a friend who also had that two inch gap in the pieced border. I like your fix and will borrow the idea if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.