Print Friendly and PDF With Strings Attached: A couple of days off

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A couple of days off

I've had three days off at home this week.  I had a meeting at the state library on Monday. 
Since that grant project was paying my mileage and one night hotel stay, we thought we'd make it into a little vacation and leave on Sunday, return on Tuesday.   My husband didn't grow up in Illinois and as a consquence he has never "done the Lincoln sites."  (Going to Springfield is a grade-school rite of passage for many Illinoisians, including me.) 

It didn't work out that way. My husband spent two nights in the hospital! Fortunately he is okay, and I brought him home Tuesday afternoon.

But, meanwhile, I'd scheduled the time off.  I've used it productively to get various chores done (well, not ALL the housecleaning, but some of it).  I found an upholsterer who will re-do the two living room armchairs (fabric bought three weeks ago) and was home when he came to get the chairs. I scheduled the furnace servicing (though it's been in the 90's this week, fall is coming); got the car's oil changed; balanced the AAUW checkbook; wrote the next column for the Zion-Benton News; wrote the "coast to coast" book review (see previous post).   True, the list of to-be-dones is still lengthy, but not as much as it was.

I wrote that I had some quilty to-do's to attend to.  Here are three of them: from yardage to flimsy in three days!


A long-time member of my P.E.O.  chapter is moving out of state. She's been a mainstay of the group and we will miss her.  I said I'd make a good-bye gift. The January, 2007, issue of McCall's Quick Quilts was on the giveaway table at last week's guild meeting. I looked through it and, voila! the perfect pattern.It's by  Pat Sloan who visited the quilt guild last month and gave an applique workshop .    I had all the fabric in my stash -- that lime green check leaped from the shelf the cutting table and the rust basket fabric wasn't far behind. 
Pat's version is called "Snowflake Basket."  I substituted daisies for snowflakes.   This is an odd size -- 23x 43.  I will distribute signature squares to P.E.O. sisters and incorporate them on the quilt back.  [P.E.O.'s emblem is a gold star and its flower is the marguerite, or daisy. There were seven founders. You can count the stars and daisies. :)]

This fall our P.E.O. chapter will have the quadrennial official visit from a state officer. We will also have a report from our delegate to the International Convention. (I was the delegate in 2011: here is my account.)  These 14 x 16 wallhangings will be our thank you gifts for their presentations. 

Back to work tomorrow. 
The next wallhanging due is a bookshelf quilt.  I'm ready!


3 comments:

  1. So sorry your hubby missed the Illinois things... But you've been doing great on getting stuff done and three little quilts. I particularly like the basket one. That green check looks super with it. Pat yourself on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have the boiler service booked and am looking into reupholstering the settee but I'm thankful that I stopped copying you before it got as far as the hospital stay.

    I love the way that the little daisies peek out of the frame, I would usually end by saying that looking at your projects makes me wish to do more sewing but I've spent the afternoon wrestling with a 24" zip so I'm all sewed out for today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egads! Two nights in the hospital? Prayers going out for his well being and for your sanity. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping to read my blog. I can't respond to every comment, but be assured that I appreciate each one.