Friday, October 2, 2026

Friday check in: stash report and a new start before I depart

I knew I'd acquire fabric in September at the Wisconsin Quilt Show but I didn't know that I'd discover two new shops and get a big destash (for free).     Fabric IN:  195 yards, $407, $2.08 per yard.    I turned around and gave away a considerable quantity, as well as making flimsies, a finished quilt, and placemats.   Fabric OUT:  215-1/2 yards.  

September sewing 
2026 year-to-date:   IN 442-1/4, $719, average $1.62 per yard.  OUT 682-5/8.  Net decrease: 240-3/8!

In January I set quarterly goals.  #1 -- use at least one "I can't cut this" fabric.  #2 Use at least one vintage fabric.  I achieved #1 and #2 with several projects, most recently the all-solids log cabin and the top-along (African prints). 

#3 Use a different specialty ruler.  Not this quarter.  

#4  Keep up with RSC each month with a yearlong project and a monthly projects.  Yearlong project accomplished (Chinese coins) but not standalone.  

Here's the new start. I rediscovered an easy, scrappy, modernish design by Ringle/Kerr (Modern Quilt Studio) in the June, 2015, issue of American Patchwork and Quilting.  I could have taken my time making the hourglass units but I just kept on going.  



I'm mindful of Victoria Findlay Wolfe's encouragement to adapt rather than copy the designer's quilt and make it your own.   In this case my hourglass units are 3" finished (theirs are 3-1/2" finished).  








I may get the panel pieced this evening -- but that's the last sewing for 2-1/2 weeks.    Tomorrow I leave for Road Scholar #56 -- Morocco!   This time I have a traveling companion, my friend Helen.  We'll be home October 20.  

Today involves packing and tying off loose ends.   I need to harvest tomatoes and pop them in the freezer. 

Linking up with Finished or Not Friday




P.S.  Quilt physics.  I wonder if the pieces spiral the other direction south of the equator.  

  

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic 3/4 year report! I love your QST project and that puddle is fun. This will never happen here as I only do 10 at a time so that I have to get up and move around-it's how I do my daily squats !

    Cheers to a fabulous and safe tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious about the spiraling puddle of chain pieces. Have a fabulous time on your trip!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice new project....like webster's dictionary you're morocco bound...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my - another exotic adventure!! Have fun! I like that new project, and look forward to seeing it come together AFTER you get home again. Hats off to the fabrics IN and OUT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of pretty color in your hourglass blocks! Have a wonderful trip - I'll enjoy seeing your photos and hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice long trip to Morocco! I wonder if the summer heat will have broken - of course perhaps you will be spending some time at higher altitude anyway? I'm looking forward to your customary travelogue!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.