HOLES
Friday's weather--high 60's, partly cloudy-- was great for the 26th annual Rotary Golf Outing. I was at the course from 10 a.m. to nearly 8 p.m. I helped at registration and then at the 18th hole where a golf pro from Charity Golf had a long drive contest. I know very little about golf but Lexie, the pro, was very patient. The event will raise over $25,000 for our high school scholarships and other community initiatives.
Carine and I intended to get our picture taken with Lexie on the 18th hole but we caught her in the clubhouse before she left.
Ted and Heather had a bidding war for the Trip Around the World quilt that I donated to the silent auction. Heather won. (Both of them have quilts I made, won at previous events.)
HIKES
Saturday was sunny and warmer. I completed the last two hikes for Hike Lake County! 1.5 miles at Independence Grove and 1.9 miles at Van Patten Woods. HLC goes from mid-August to the end of November but my personal goal is to walk the 14 designated trails and the hiker's choice wild card in the shortest possible time.
The Des Plaines river is still at flood stage a week after the rain.
The Waukegan Historical Society's annual homes tour was Sunday. Four houses, two former houses (now a funeral home and a pet funeral home), plus the two WHS museums were open. The houses were built between 1843 and 1929.
I know the owners of the 1929 house but hadn't been beyond the first floor.
PLACEMATS
Here are 21 placemats from Dorothy's bag of blocks. I've got 9 more ready to baste.
# # # # # #
I'm reading and listening to many books but I don't have any knock-your-socks off recommendations from the most recent.
# # # # # #
Linking up with Design Wall Monday Sew and Tell
The placemats are so fun! What is your target size for them? What a lovely compliment to have a bidding war over your donated quilt! The golf event raised so much money. The cost of higher education keeps rising along with everything else so scholarships are so needed.
ReplyDeleteI love your walking goal...I really must get back to walking more....I got very lazy about it this year!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun with all your placemats, Nann. THey all look so cohesive and interesting.
ReplyDeleteYor golf tourney sounds very fun and a great way to raise funds. Cute quilt!!. Love all the blocks for your placemats
ReplyDeletebusy DRY weekend there i see....i'm clueless about golf mostly myself...your quilts certainly get around!!
ReplyDeleteThat's quite a fundraiser! And the rivalry over your quilt is really cute.
ReplyDeleteCeci
Congrats on completing the hike challenge! How fun for you. Love the "war" over your quilt :-)
ReplyDeleteThat's wonderful that the golf tournament raises so much money for Rotary! I love that people are "fighting" over your quilts, too! Congratulations on completing the hike challenge - you've walked in some beautiful spots. The house tour looks interesting and the placemats are really coming along. Looks like a fun and busy weekend!
ReplyDelete