Pages

▼

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Midweek: a quilt shop and placemats

 Yesterday Pat and I went out to lunch to celebrate her birthday.  I looked up "quilt shops nearby" and discovered Quilters Quest in Downers Grove.  We ate at a Panera Bread in the same shopping center, then went to the shop.   


Wow!

A huge array of fabric -- Free Spirit, Ruby Star, all the Modas, a wall of batiks, and even some CW and 30's reproductions.  


They're a Bernina and Janome dealer.  They have six full-sized Gammill machines.

The black garment bags on the dry-cleaner carousel hold quilts waiting to be quilted or to be picked up. 

Pat is not a quilter so all of it was new territory for her.  


I had to buy something. I went to the clearance shelf.  $6.99 per yard.


# # # # # #


Tuesday evening in the studio:  I finished the second batch of placemats made from Dorothy's blocks.  


I enjoy the design exercise in figuring out settings and adding border/backing/binding that coordinate with the blocks.


The top left and center left use the same blocks. Those on the right are nearly all the same blocks.  



These five use eight of the same blocks.  I disassembled the block (red/red) in the one on the upper right and added units I had on hand.  


Rainy day today.  I have a lot to do indoors.


Linking up with Wednesday Wait Loss

11 comments:

  1. Fun outing! Enjoy the rainy day (we pray for one of those out in the NorthWest!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shop sounds awesome! I'm so glad you had fun out with your friend. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2026/09/30/wednesday-wait-loss-504

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that quilt shop is large. A friend of mine shops there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always fun to visit a new quilt shop! Your placemats are coming right along. Looks like you're being very successful in your quest to use up Dorothy's blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did well shopping the clearance section! I’m so enjoying your placemat parade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woof--that's quite a production line of quilting! I hope the customers don't lose their ticket when it comes time to pick up their dry clea...er...quilting!

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dagnabbit. The site screwed me again. That was me, comment beginning with "Woof"

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  8. The placemats are turning out great. What a fun shop that was!! The garment bag storage is actually a very clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really miss the joy of walking into a quilt shop that is not 100% "modern" - I prefer the ones that have a wide range of fabric types. And I always look for the clearance rack after I get past my initial omigosh reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clearance rack shopping is a great resource; it looks like you showed great restraint!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.