I was going for the look of the churn dash quilt I coordinated for the ALA Biblioquilters, but with 4", 8", and 12" stars.
I tried red sashing -- too red. I tried green sashing -- too green. I tried light sashing -- a huge mish-mash. Nothing worked. (But I sewed all the 4" stars into nine-patch units before I realized that.) I know better than to try to design and sew when I'm frustrated. I put the blocks away and worked on other projects.
No, I don't HAVE to make a holiday quilt for AAUW. But I've done so for nearly 20 years. I took out the box and put the 12" stars on the design wall. What if?
WHAT IF, indeed. Look what happened. I had just the right light green print for the sashing and just the right red-on-red print for the border.
Next problem: the October 19 AAUW fall conference is a good time to sell tickets. We leave for our fall trip October 10. Other people can display the quilt and sell the tickets but I have to get the quilt to them before we leave --which means the quilt has to be finished. I called Barb who has quilted many of my quilts. I explained the urgency. She is involved in a guild show the first weekend of October but she said she can quilt it the day after the show. (She said that it was a group of AAUWs who taught her to quilt 20+ years ago.)
I pieced the backing, keeping it simple (no blocks on the back to slow things down) and delivered top, back, and batting on Saturday. WHEW.
Linking up with
Design Wall Monday
Moving It Forward