Monday, March 5, 2018

Weekly update: WHM, blocks, settings, and OMG

ZWC 
AAUW 
The Lake County Women's Coalition honored "women empowering women, fighting all forms of  discrimination" at the annual Women's History Month luncheon on Saturday.  AAUW honored Maria Elena Jonas, founder and director of HACES (Hispanic American Community Education Services). Zion Woman's Club honored Sadie Watts who founded several agencies and a church in Zion. Sadie could not attend (she is 99 and has dementia).  The program was a portrayal of Holocaust survivor Alicia Appelman Jurman portrayed by Betsey Means of WomanLore .

The silent auction raises funds for LCWC's scholarships at the College of Lake County for women over 30 who are "returning to learning."  I donated  two tote bags with books and Rainbow Daisies .  As I was walking out to my car a woman called my name.  I didn't know her. She said, "I won your quilt! My nephew is getting married next month and the quilt will be their wedding gift. Thank you so much!"  It was so nice of her to tell me!

# # # # # #
I assembled the In the Frame blocks that I won from Block Lotto. This uses 48 of the 52 I received. Good thing there were extras because two blocks were undersized.

Here are eight Oh Susanna blocks for this month's Block Lotto.







I've nearly finished setting the 30's Double X blocks. When I use on- point with sashing I have to stop to figure out the assembly.  It's hard to see in the photo that the setting triangles are white-on-white.  I'm going for a modern-ish effect with large open spaces.















My March OMG project is to make two tote bags for upcoming fundraisers.  Here's the beginning of one of them.

You can see other OMG aspirations at Elm Street Quilts OMG

And other weekly posts:
Design Wall Monday
Monday Making
Oh Scrap


4 comments:

  1. Love your 30s quilt! TheRainbow Daisies is a lovely wedding gift. Looking forward to seeing the finished tote! Yours are always so pretty!



    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful empowering themes and so nice to look at these lovely projects of yours. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like where you are going with your tote bag. That is going to be pretty!

    I also love that 30’s quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making tote bags! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.