Monday, January 8, 2018

Weekly update: ORL halfway, and other accomplishments

The Thomas Fire is the largest-ever fire in California.  Grace posted the announcement of a block drive to make quilts for the victims.  The drive is for this specific block (split 9-patch). One yard of fabric for these seven blocks which I mailed off on Saturday.









In other flinging:  I offered the presser feet from my now-deceased Pfaff on two Yahoo sales groups and had a taker within fifteen minutes. (And messages for days afterward, even though I posted a follow up stating that they were spoken for.)   I replied to a sales group request for neutral scraps. I emptied the box on the left and much of the box on the right -- 16 yards sold for $48!


Here are my blocks for this month's Block Lotto. It's great to have BL back in 2018.














Here's the repurposed briefcase, one of my OMGs.  I'm not 110% wild about it. Technically the workmanship is fine but it's "cuter" than I intended. I want arty / sophisticated. Back to the drawing board -- rather, the cutting table.









I have assembled just over half of On Ringo Lake. I found that in order to orient the sashing correctly it was best to work on one row at a time -- blocks, sashing, blocks, sashing.

I hope to get it to the flimsy stage soon.  The holiday break is over and I have meetings and other projects that I need to attend to!

Monday linkups:
Quiltville Mystery Monday
Oh, Scrap!
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday

11 comments:

  1. You have been busy. Your mystery quilt is coming along quite nicely. I'm still working on blocks and deciding how many I want to make. I have a full size bed not a queen, so need to reduce some blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that reminds me! My chorus bag has a rip in the same spot and I need to either mend it or pull down one of many other bags that I've collected over the years. It's ridiculous, really. I've made nearly 100 totes (http://cbottsprojects.blogspot.com/p/test-2.html), but I'm carrying around a ratty, tattered music bag. Shoemaker's children...
    Love that split 9-patch. Wondering now if I could get a couple of 2.5" HTSs if I put together two 3.5" squares and sewed 2 seams off the center diagonal. I've got these bins of Scrap User System scraps, you see. Once this cat stops pinning me to the recliner, I'm going to go play with that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Thomas Fire blocks are so nice. The contrast and fabrics you used really catch the eye. I need to get mine made, too. Your mystery quilt colors are so soft and soothing. It's looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you selling off some of your unnecessary items. I've thought of doing a bit of that -- mostly with patterns -- but I don't think they sell all that well. Sigh. ORL looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks nann for the fire relief blocks...i'm sure they will be thrilled to get them...and that bag isn't THAT cutesy...well, maybe a little

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos are eliminating some scraps and needed presser feet from your sewing room. Do you mind sharing which Yahoo group(s) you used?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ORL is looking good! You have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow, On Ringo Lake is amazing! Your Thomas Fire Blocks look great, too. Mine went out in the mail today. And you know what? I love the block lotto blocks! I’m going to check these out further!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nann! Happy New Year! Wow you are just bringing in 2018 with the best way, so many wonderful projects. On Ringo Lake looks amazing! It's a pretty hard quilt to put together isn't it? The blocks were a bit tricky for me, I still have 11 to go, have to put them together slowly. Like you I found the row by row method the only way to keep my sanity putting it together, another thing that I have to take slowly, but it's one of my favorites. So good to see all your wonderful projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have really made some great progress on your ORL. Soon you will have a flimsy. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.