Monday, January 22, 2018

Weekly update: a finish, swaps,and something new



Look who had a birthday last week!  We saw the movie The Post (excellent!) and got pedicures.
The guild challenge quilt is quilted, bound, and labeled.   The quilting is wobblier than I wanted it to be but I will declare that that's my intent (artistic license). I'm glad to have this finished six weeks in advance.




















I have a head start on swaps. I made 54 solid-and-low-volume 6.5" churn dashes for Barb's swap. (Here's  her blog.)

3.5" nine-patches are the Block Swappers' perennial favorite -- going back 10 years or so.  There will be three rounds in 2018, each for ten sets of six. Two rounds will be light-dark-light.
I went ahead and made blocks for the year. (There are extras because I cut the 1.5" strips from the width of fabric. I can easily find uses for these little blocks.)









Original Hoytyville 



Last year Lori posted a photo of a pattern called Hoytyville. (Here's the link.) I came across her post a few weeks ago and saved the photo.  I have lots of blacks and brights but I decided to tackle the box and shelf of brown/tan -- with a few grays and blacks thrown in.

The blocks are 6-1/2" x 10-1/2" unfinished. The flimsy is 54 x 72 and used 3-1/2 yards. I found browns and tans that I didn't realize I had.  How long have they been there? Where did I get them? Beats me.







The basic block is made from 6.5" x 2.5" strips.

A few of the framed blocks I made didn't have enough contrast to suit me. I trimmed the frames to 3/4" (1/2" fin.) and added another frame. I like the variation.

If I make something like this again I will try a couple of horizontal bands -- maybe rows of squares? -- to provide a visual resting place. This seems very much like sliding downhill.












On Saturday I marched in spirit with the 275,000+ women in downtown Chicago and the million+ others in cities all over the country. 

Instead, I walked on the beach. There was still ice on the breakwater   Now, as I write, it's raining. The January thaw is fleeting but welcome!



I got one sliver of green glass for my collection.

Monday linkups:
Monday Making
Oh Scrap!
Main Crush Monday
Design Wall Monday







12 comments:

  1. Hooray for a day at the spa! Happy Birthday! your tans and browns are lovely and I like that color combination much better than the black one, it looks homier somehow. good job on designing the variation block, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've been busy! Love all your projects. I came across a box -- actually two boxes of 1-1/2" strips, mostly purples and greens. Bet I could do something similar to Lori's quilt with them. Now you've got me thinking, Nann. BAD Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've gotten so much accomplished, you deserved the spa day! I'm waiting on my pedicure until at least February. If my toes are all pretty and painted, I want to show them off in sandals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your NYB is lovely and I'm sure any wobbles won't be obvious to others. I like yours scrap flimsy , good use of scraps. Happy birthday to yourDH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great things going on! Love that you had a spa day. We need one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you steam pressed your challenge piece from the back? That will usually mellow out the wobbles caused by quilting.

    Yes I think a few horizontal rows in the neutrals quilt would make it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just think of your wobbles as intentional design elements! :) Your spa day sounds like a lot of fun, and hubby looks like he's really enjoying himself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice projects nann....i passed on barb's churn dash sew along in favor of the mid-applachian quilters star blocks one...2 blocks each mo jan thru june....love your little churn dashes...lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow you got your blocks done fast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been a busy gal. Everything looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've been busy. Congrats on finishing off the Guild Challenge quilt, it turned out beautifully. I like your brown version of Hoytville. I do see the sliding downhill effect. Hope you've had a chance to get in some good stitching time this week.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.