Monday, November 20, 2017

Monday update: a finish and a start



I brought the Halloween pumpkins in from the front steps, cut them up, and cooked them down.  There's five pies' worth of puree.  (I know that the little pie pumpkins are sweeter and denser than jack o'lantern pumpkins. My pies taste just fine and I feel very thrifty.)



We know many people who regularly attend the Lake County Concerts but we had never gone.  Friends gave us their tickets for Saturday's concert to hear pianist Steven Vanhauwaert play Liszt.  It was wonderful . . . and we will become members/ticket-holders, too.





Here is Bright Bars, q & b (quilted and bound).  I made the flimsy in August and (gasp) bought backing fabric for it then. I knew I'd do simple straight-line quilting. So why did it take me three months to actually get it done?

I used four orphan blocks and made five more for the pieced back.






















This is the beginning of baby quilt #3. Brooks Ruth is due at the end of January. (Now "Our Miss Brooks" has popped into my head. The baby's parents are far too young to know the reference!)  It's fun to work with pink after making two baby-boy I Spy quilts this fall.




Monday link ups:
Design Wall Monday
Oh, Scrap!
Monday Making
Main Crush Monday

8 comments:

  1. Hi Nann,
    Well, you had a very productive time of it! Those stars with the adorable pink background is just precious. What a great idea - I never think of using that as a background fabric color. I've just recently expanded from white/beige to gray - now you are blowing my mind with pink!! HAHA It will be loved and appreciated, I am sure of that. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've accomplished a lot! Our Miss Brooks was a weekly must-see in our house (once we got a TV).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The concert sounds lovely. You have been busy, and I really like the Our Miss Brooks baby quilt. I haven't thought of that TV show for years, but I used to love it. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Mondays, Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing up Bright Bars! It turned out beautifully. The baby girl stars are bright and fun. Happy stitching this week and happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the star you have on the stars, perfect for a baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember that show too. Baby Brooks will have a lovely snuggle blanket when you are all done. I have a lot of tops I haven't quilted. My thoughts are 1) a top takes less room than a quilt and 2) I'm getting much better on the quilting so I might be actually waiting to do a few. On the other hand, it makes sense just to finish the darn things. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bar quilt, and the stars. I don't know why it takes so long to make backs and then get layers basted, I guess because it is not as exciting as so many other steps in quilting.
    I have heard the term about Miss Brooks but never saw the show:)

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.