Sunday, October 1, 2017

Weekly update: starts and finishes, September stash report

Rabbit, rabbit!  It's the first of the month.

I can boast of four small projects, started and finished this week.

This mug rug is a birthday gift for a friend who likes dragonflies. 










This mug rug will accompany some books and cookies as a get-well gift for another friend.  The 6" maple leaf block was in the orphan blocks box.












 I used two more orphan maple leaves for this tote bag.  (The other side is similar to this one. The leaf has slightly different colors.)  I fiddled with strips until I got to the size I wanted.

I'll fill the tote with advance reader copies (forthcoming books) and donate it to the silent auction/raffle at the Zion Woman's Club Bunco Night later in October.

I just joined Elm Street Quilts Bag It challenge. This is my first entry! 





Vino Row is a 12x40 runner for a wine-themed gift basket that my sorority alumnae club is donating to a fundraiser.  The pattern is by Carolyn Reardon and was published in McCall's Quilting, May/June 2017.  The gentle curves were easy to sew.

Stash report for September:
January-August fabric in:  250-5/8, $1005.14
September fabric in: 125-7/8, $149  (I went to two estate sales and a garage sale: avg. $1.18/yd)
YTD fabric in: 376-1/2, $1154.14, $3.07/yd

January-August fabric out: 384-3/4
September fabric out: 32-1/4
YTD fabric out: 417

YTD net: 40-1/2 out

I plan to stay away from estate sales in October (at least, those with fabric)!

Weekly linkups:  Oh Scrap!
Bag It
Design Wall Monday
Monday Making
Main Crush Monday






6 comments:

  1. Great use of those orphan blocks. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great uses of scraps. The bag is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That wine runner looks so cool! I love that the wine bottles are facing the right direction no matter which side a person is looking at. Using orphan blocks for mug rugs for gifts is a great idea. I have a whole box of orphan blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The maple leaf tote bag is lovely with all the blended colors. It should be a hit. You do so many nice projects for your various groups, very much appreciated, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW I popped over from Bag It to check out your maple leaf bag, and I find a very eye candy post! Your dragonfly and maple leaf mug rugs are sweet, and I'm sure will be much appreciated by your friends :) Your maple leaf tote is awesome- I think it will be well received at the silent auction! The wine bottle tablerunner - oh MY that is sweet - I try to avoid curved seams because they intimidate me, but you've got the technique down pat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Orphan bags make for great bags - love yours. Thanks for sharing as part of Elm Street Quilts Bag It.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.