Monday, October 16, 2017

Weekly update: a flimsy, a center block, and totes



This embroidered piece has been on the wall in my studio for years. It's folded in thirds. I thought it was an odd kind of shelf liner. I learned this week (from a FB post by Diane Volk Harris) that it's the cover for a treadle sewing machine.




Here's the I Spy flimsy.  I had to buy fabric for the borders. The striped red and the bright-stars-on-blue are just right, I think. The novelties are cut 4.5 x 6.5 and the light blue strips are 2.5 x 4.5 so each block is 6.5 x 8.5.

I trimmed the cutaway HSTs to 1.5" so they're ready for another project.








I've signed up for a round robin with several  other NLCQG members.  It begins at the November meeting.  Here's my center block, a design by Piece O'Cake.


I've used eight of the twelve guild BOM paper-pieced blocks for tote bags.  Here are four tote outsides and one finished tote.

Monday linkups:
Main Crush Monday
Oh, Scrap!
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday

8 comments:

  1. Love the design for your I spy quilt. So unique! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely piece of embroidery ! I'm sure the maker would be pleased to know it is still appreciated! Really cute I Spy quilt! Some little one will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the center of your new round robin, very pretty! Thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Round robins intrigue me. I've seen some around the internet and I'm always amazed at the creativity of each round. Your center block is lovely and it will be fun to see what it ends up looking like in a finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your RR. I found ours to be very stressful; I am so wanting to please everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been busy! The totes are going to be very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of fun things to look at here. The block for your round robin is so nice. It will be interesting to see what folks do when they add their rounds. Aren't you smart to use the blocks for tote bags. Nice job. Hum, I wonder if I could do something like that too? Possibly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pinwheels add lots of movement and organization to your I Spy quilt. I like the floral wreath for the RR. I've seen those types of flowers several places over the years and always want to try one, too. They are so appealing. Enjoy the future rounds.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.