Benartex blog had a scavenger hunt to introduce its upcoming fabric collections. I diligently searched and found each of the clues and submitted my entry. I won this bundle of ten fat quarters!
Here are the three fabrics I used for the backing. I did not acquire them in the year they were printed. The green leaves are a truly vintage print (36" wide).
Around Christmas time a friend asked if could take a look at a quilt that needed repair. It has been in their family since their children (now 31 and 24) were little. She brought it over and I said I'd give it a try. I have no excuse not to get going!
The machine-pieced bricks are 2-3/4 x 4-3/4 finished. The fabrics are cotton prints, some blends, and some heavier garment and home dec. The red ties are heavy cotton (not perle; maybe crochet?). Polyester batting.
The backing is intact but the self-binding is worn. About two dozen of the bricks are torn. I contemplated taking the entire quilt apart,, replacing the bricks, and then retying (or, preferably for me, machine-quilting) it but my friend doesn't want to pay that much.
I'm making new bricks faced with lightweight interfacing. I will machine-applique them over the old bricks and put ties in the center of each. (I've tried one applique -- with red bobbin thread it blends into the backing.)
Here are two replacement bricks. One shows the interfaced back. The "pillow" keeps the raw edges of the brick turned under better than just pressing the raw edges.
I was not surprised to find how many 1970's-80's ditsy prints were in my stash.
Linking up with
Main Crush Monday