Monday, February 27, 2017

Weekly update: this and that

Last week began with quilts when I gave "Every Quilt Tells a Story" for the Antioch chapter of Questers. (Here is more about the national organization.)  Two members are friends from AAUW and I knew one of the other women in the group.

The AAUW board met Thursday evening.  Joanne brought this lovely quilt which came from her husband's family. It's made out of neckties. There's no batting and the top is not tied to the backing. The edge is finished with knitted (I think) lace.  The feather stitching is very even.  There's a quarter to show how small the blocks are.







I listed items for sale on the Quilters Classified FB group -- a big box of cross-stitch leaflets, unused craft patterns, and 19-3/4 yards of fabric will be mailed out today!  (However, I do need to check before I send Paypal invoices. Mailing rates have gone up. [Note to self.])

I have all the bricks sewn onto the quilt that I'm repairing. I have to figure out how to attach the replacement binding.  That is this week's project.






I've begun a batch of 9" Ohio Stars in red, white, and blue.   I'm using up pieces of white-on-white and light cream-on-cream. I also found a partially-filled shoebox with star-print squares (set aside for a project I've forgotten) that are proving handy.  The blocks will go to Karen, the moderator of the Block Swappers group. She is also a Quilts of Valor coordinator. My goal is to make 365 blocks using stash on hand. Here are the first 28.

Monday linkups:
Oh, Scrap!
Monday Making
Main Crush Monday
Design Wall Monday


P.S. I also made the March Block Lotto blocks: blue broken dishes.  I used up some blue prints that I've had for a very long time.

















7 comments:

  1. I love Ohio stars, and yours in R/W/B are stellar! And I like the way your broken dishes form stars, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful assortment of quilts! That patriotic Ohio Star could have been from my grand mother's collection-she was known for her love of both Ohio Star Quilts and anything red, white and blue! (I have a page of her quilts on my blog, if you want to see for yourself.) Lovely blog; I will be back! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow you have been busy, and of course you have again inspired me, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to use scraps ... 365 blocks - oh my - that's ambitious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Ohio stars really shine. (pun intended!) And I love your choices of the blues in the broken dishes blocks. Nice job. Congratulations on moving some items on to others.... and bringing in a bit of moola for you to use! I need to look at that FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fun star blocks. Way to go on using up stash and contributing to a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely classic stars, and it was such fun seeing the antique quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.