Sunday, February 7, 2016

DWM: Goal! plus a bit of brown, and some string blocks




I don't care about the Super Bowl, but I did make a goal this week.  Here are the 17 mug rugs for the Magpies' Texfest meet up next month.  Making them was my  OMG -- One Monthly Goal -- for February.  They used a bunch of bandanas and 2-1/4 yards of fabric.

I folded 1-1/2" squares into triangles and sewed them into the binding for so the mug rug can be used as a wallhanging. (The backs were a variety of bandana prints.)

Brown is the color for this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge . I made the nine brown Snail's Trail blocks for the Block Lotto in January (and posted the photo last week) so I thought I should come up with another project for the RSC.  When I sewed 2" squares into nine-patches for Dancing 9's (photo last week) I pulled out all the red squares and started leader-endering them. What to do with those twosies?  Jacob's Ladder would be fun. But what to use for the HSTs? Ah! Brown!

These blocks are 9-1/2" unfin. I don't know how many I'll make or how I'll set them.

NLCQG (my guild) members made Heartstrings blocks at the January charity sewing meeting.  I said I'd quilt up to five 48-block quilts if they'd make the blocks. At this week's meeting the blocks began to come in -- more than 125 so far, with more on the way.  We'll donate the quilts to a local agency.

I'm linking up for
RSC Scrap Happy Saturday
 Oh Scrap!
Design Wall Monday
Monday Making

P.S. My Super Bowl commentary:

13 comments:

  1. Seventeen? Holy cow! (Or is that Holy crow? Love the birds on them!)
    Your Jacob's Ladders are wonderful. I'd considered that block for RSC, but I managed to bury myself in other blocks. Maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friends are going to be delighted with the mug mats! They are cute as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work, you have been busy and most certainly will be for some time with all those blocks coming in. Love the super bowl comment...and I am Australian so dont even have to suffer the footy feverpitch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea sewing in those triangles! Thanks for sharing all your lovely projects with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the little mug rugs. I really need to make a few for the upcoming guild show. We have a $5 and under table (except I think they moved it to $10 and under....) We make little things to raise money for the guild. The jacob ladders look great although I think they look more pink than brown... which might be what you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the mug rugs and red and brown is always a great combination

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Dancing 9's look lovely and very much like Valentines to me. And BTW, I'm pretty sure the Super Bowl is by Royal Doulton... ;-) Hee, hee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mug rugs are so cute! I love the red and brown together. I never would have thought to combine them. I will now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great use for bandana fabric! Someone gave me a bundle and I've been wondering what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the dowager countess and i think alike! and those postcards are sooo adorable! what a great idea for your bandanna prints, tho you probably didn't bust all the fabric...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those mugrugs are awesome, the Texfest peeps are going to get a kick out of such wonderful momentos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mug rugs turned out fabulously!!! I love your Dowager Countess meme about the Super Bowl!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.