Sunday, August 2, 2015

DWM: an online anniversary, a finish, and a new flimsy

Twenty years ago today -- August 2, 1995: my first post to the UseNet newsgroup rec.crafts.textiles.quilting (RCTQ). I was director of the Fargo Public Library then.  The public television station offered inexpensive internet (email) access, called Prairie Online.  The library got accounts for all the staff to learn how to "do" email. The service included a range of newsgroups, among them RCTQ. I was a novice at both quilting and the internet back then. RCTQ provided a wonderful community, a virtual quilt guild, acquaintances that I value, and friendships that I treasure.


It's nice to begin a month with a finish!  I quilted and bound the red rails flimsy that I made in April. I used regular stitching (feed dogs engaged, regular presser foot) in a "hanging diamonds" pattern (diagonal lines + vertical lines (or horizontal, depending on the way you look at it )).  3-1/8 yards for backing and binding.

Indigo (dark blue) is the color for the August Rainbow Scrap Challenge .  Here's the latest of the bubble blocks I'm making, one for each month. 









I was asked to make a quilt for the Full Score Orchestra gala this fall. I knocked myself out to make Noteworthy for the event last year. I wanted to make something less involved.  When I saw Dottie , a pattern by Moda, I knew that would do it.  I bought musical note fabric for the background and rootled through my stash for a variety of brights. The top is finished and I'm making the pieced back now. 

The blocks are 12 x 12 so this is 60 x 72. 

I think the design packs a contemporary visual punch and it was certainly easy to make.  The block is basically a nine-patch.










I'm linking up with other quiltmakers for Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt  and Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times .


13 comments:

  1. Happy Online Anniversary! It's hard to realized life without Blogs and Internet friends. Congrats on your Finish and newly started project. That is an interesting blocks to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!! Love what you do with orchestra quilt, the music background is so wonderful. The brights really make it sing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have great quilts to showcase, Nann! This is another beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your orchestra quilt looks great! For some reason the blocks remind me the little pixelated spaceships in old video games :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your orchestra quilt looks fabulous. I've been making similar blocks although I think the ones I did are slightly different. But I do love all the bright colors. I joined a Prodigy quilt group in the 90's. I have several beautiful round robins from that group along with several block sets I've never done anything with. I keep trying to get things done from that time period but aside from one or two quilts I haven't done too many. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to come across your blog today Nan. I was part of rec.quilting a long time ago and I'm a friend of Debs. It was a great group.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely post, Nann. 1995 was the year I started patchwork and am still loving it :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes it's hard to remember BI (before Internet). I can remember having to order technical papers from our library and it would take a few weeks to get them via snail mail. Now I ask for a paper and I usually have it in an hour. Dottie turned out beautifully and so did Red Nails

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary. Things have certainly changed since 1995. Your orchestra quilt is wonderful. Love that musical background fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the red rails....soooo scrappily pretty....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have that quilt on my to-do list, love how yours came out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Love that red scrappy quilt and the music quilt is gorgeous too. You've been BUSY!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.