Sunday, January 11, 2015

DWM: back to the 30's

The post title gives me a chuckle.  The temperatures plunged earlier in the week, with a high on Wednesday of about 6. Wednesday night's quilt guild meeting was cancelled.  Thursday was cold, snow-flurry-y, and very windy, and Rotary (7:30 a.m.), United Methodist Women (1 p.m.), and Community of Character committee (5:30 p.m.) were all cancelled.  It was still cold but sunny on Friday, so the Coalition for Healthy Communities board had its regular monthly breakfast meeting.  Just before noon I picked up Jo-An S. and Erika N. and we headed to Bloomington (243 miles) for the AAUW-Illinois winter board meeting. The interstate was clear but it was quite windy. More than a dozen cars and seven or eight tractor-trailers had skidded off the road.  We made it but I was really glad I had passengers to keep me alert and focused. The board meeting on Saturday went just fine and we got home at 6:00 p.m.

The weatherman says that the temperatures will be "back to the 30's" by the end of the coming week.

 Meanwhile it was back to the 30's in my studio.
Isn't this cheerful?   "Petal Patch" was featured in AmP&Q's Quilt Sampler, Fall-Winter 2011, for  Millstone Quilts (Mechanicsville, Virginia). The quilt in the magazine used "regular" calico prints. I thought it was just right for 30's repros.  The blocks are 8". The flimsy is 56"x72". It used 3-1/4 yds of 30's and 1-1/2 yds of white to total 4-3/4 yds.

See what other quiltmakers are working on at Judy's Patchwork Times  .



11 comments:

  1. I went in search of my 30s last week and remembered I had given them all to a friend. I did still have some 40s, so decided to do an exploding pineapple with them. Not coming out so good, though. But I've busted that stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Millstone is one of my local quilt shops! Great little shop. Love your quilt. Nice to have something so cheery to play with during this cold, dreary weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful quilt! Very bright and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love back to the 30s, your quilt and the weather. Glad to hear you made it safely, the roads were really bad this weekend. Your quilt is super sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They really are cheerful. That is why I love 30s prints. They are so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cute. Millstone is one of my "local" stores, it's a great place.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hum, you have a bunch of central Virginia quilters who read your blog! I've been to Millstone once as I pass several other quilt shops to get there. I've got a 30's project planned but not started. Do I admit it has been planned for 10 years or so? I've taken the background fab out and used it. Every once and a while I use a little bit of the 30's fabric. Maybe some day I'll do it but probably not this year! congrats on busting some stash in a really cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute quilt! I go to Millstone a couple of times a year. I'm in central VA, but 3 other shops are closer to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. pretty quilt.....yeah, 30s would be nice here today....mostly 20s and single digit temps overnite...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nann, I just spent at least an hour at "It's About Time" blog. The women, the art, the history, the street scenes! I feel like I've truly been in a great art museum. Thank you for leading the way! Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute and reminds me of spring (I'm really ready for spring, sounds like you might be too).

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.