Print Friendly and PDF With Strings Attached: DWM: sleeves and labels

Monday, August 18, 2014

DWM: sleeves and labels

Another week flew by with little time in my studio.  I had four evening meetings last week -- guild board on Wednesday and interviews of applicants for the 2014 Zion-Benton Leadership Academy on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

However, I did get hanging sleeves and labels put on all the quilts I am entering in the NLCQG quilt show in October. (I am 2-1/2 months ahead of time!)  I am entering nearly everything I have on hand that isn't otherwise obligated.

Hanging sleeves are easy.  Cut fabric into 9" strips.  (Hint: bedsheets are good sources of long strips.) Sew strips into tubes. Press the tube so the seam is in the center. Pin the tube with the seam toward the quilt -- then you don't have to turn the tube inside out.

The labels I use most often are those I print from the computer. I use the "business card" template in Word and print 10 labels at a time.  I use a Pigma pen to add quilt name, date, recipient, or other relevant details. I make more elaborate labels for some quilts.
I "frame" the printed label on a piece of fabric and sew the frame to the quilt.  That's the only hand-sewing I do on a quilt.

If I can't keep myself from buying fabric the least I can do is buy bargains.  These pieces came from two estate sales this weekend.  The blue sheet was used as a drop cloth.  I can cut out the paint splashes. I love the blue/green print.  The Ralph Lauren sheet is queen-sized, package unopened.  $2 for the two!  The red fabrics total 3-1/8 and were $2, total.

P.S. I have a secret project!  I'm one of the participants in Quiltmaker's Back to School Party. I have finished the quilt I made from the fabric selection they sent me.  I am sworn to secrecy -- tune into the  Quiltmaker blog on September 1!

I'm linking up with fellow quiltmakers at Judy's Patchwork Times

5 comments:

  1. Such great deals you found!!! I love it when that happens :) Thanks for the info on how you make labels. For some reason, that is something I always put off - and I know better!!! Can't wait to see your surprise project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely stack of finished, sleeved, and labeled quilts! Nice work! When you print the labels onto fabric, are you using commercially printer-prepared cloth like Printed Treasures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you'll have lots of quilts to enter. Sewing on labels always takes longer than I think it should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for getting those labels on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahead of time? Is there such a thing? LOL not in my dictionary. I'm just now reading your blog post and I'm just as slow at getting quilts down.
    Good Luck in the show

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping to read my blog. I can't respond to every comment, but be assured that I appreciate each one.