Monday, July 28, 2014

DWM: not much sewing


My horoscope in this morning's Chicago Tribune says, "The pieces come together. Keep a tight hold on your common sense."  Gee, does the syndicated horoscope writer know I'm a quiltmaker?

The Carpenter's Wheel flimsy is still pinned to the design wall. I didn't sew last week.  To give you an idea of what a non-sewing week it was, this assortment of purple fabric arrived on Tuesday. I did not take the box to my studio to open until Friday.

Admiring the hogs at the Lake Co. Fair 
I worked on AAUW finances to follow up on the previous weekend's state board meeting. (As I observed to the AAUW-IL president, this 'volunteer' stuff seemed an awfully lot like WORK.)  The Zion-Benton Leadership Academy steering committee met Tuesday evening. Friday afternoon I went to the library system board meeting and in the evening to a retirement party for a colleague at the library in a neighboring community. Saturday Stevens and I went to the Lake County Fair (mid-morning: small crowds, decent parking). That evening we met friends for dinner at Hob Nob, a classic Wisconsin supper club on the lake in Racine (about 12 miles from home).





Though quilting is my significant passion/obsession, reading is the activity that has defined me since I was a small child. If, heaven forbid, I had to make a draconian choice and cease one or the other, I would stick with reading. Fortunately, I don't have to -- but this week it was indeed nice to spend two solid evenings with books.  (Wednesday:  Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult, which will be published in October. Thursday: Insane City, by Dave Barry.   Here's my review of Leaving Time.   No review for Insane City -- it was just very, very funny.)




P.S. from the fair:

This is NOT my quilt. It was made by my friend Joan, who used her extensive 30's repros to make this award-winning version of Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street. It's a beauty!


See what more productive folks have been working on at Judy's Patchwork Times .



2 comments:

  1. Even though I'm not that crazy about 30's fabrics, I really love Joan's interpretation of Bonnie's quilt! Really lovely :) I love to read too and would hate to have to choose between that and quilting. I have to admit I read less since I started quilting, but I could never give it up!

    I totally understand a non-sewing week! My granddaughter has been with us this summer, so I have had quite a few weeks lately with no sewing. However, we are teaching her to sew, so perhaps that counts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice purples nann.....must think about getting some for MY stash too...

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.