Monday, November 18, 2013

DWM: nifty accessory, flock completed, on the wall, new project

 The library craft fair was Saturday. I didn't sell any quilts, but  I bought several Christmas gifts.  Can you tell what these are?  (See the end of the post for the answer.) Update! I sold two quilts, for $100 and $125, which is more than I spent with other crafters ($145 total).




 
 Here is the flock of 65 red bird ornaments. These will be given to library staff, volunteers, and trustees.  (I used DMC floss for the hangers.)






The framed 9-patch blocks stayed on the design wall all week. I made some more blocks.  I experimented with ways to set them.

Scrappy sashes?

I am partial to on-point settings.



 I'm leaning toward sashes made out of one neutral-ish print with scrappy cornerstones.

But I may change my mind....stay tuned!


This is the project I need to get started. It's a commission for a family of Pittsburgh Steelers fans -- thus, black/gold/white. I have a pattern in mind.  Here is an initial assortment of fabric.









The accessory:  a compact smartphone or tablet stylus.
It attaches to the earphone socket.  Pull it out to use it.
Two of these are made out of turned acrylic and three are turned box elder.  From the same vendor I bought a seam ripper with a beautiful box elder handle (for myself) and a zebra-wood pen (for a gift.) 

See what other quiltmakers are working on at  Judy's Patchwork Times.                                                                                    

It is hard to hold the camera in one hand while taking a picture of the other hand.

 


10 comments:

  1. Those stylus' are great and the fact that you can "link" it to your tablet is even better. I like your blocks on point, too. I don't do many on point but I really like how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scrappy sashing lets the jewel tone chain have center stage. With matched sashings, all I see is sashing and blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to buy some of the stylus' but don't know any one who makes them. I just sent the link to your post to a friend whose husband turns things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for no sashing. The construction of the block makes it's own sashing. I'm partial to on-point settings, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty flock! The stylus is a great idea. Don't you love clever people? Love the chains formed by the framed blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun Tool. Thanks for sharing, that might have to go in my Secret Santa stocking this year. Now to find them in my area... I like the on-point as well. It plays tricks with figuring out which block is in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. always enjoy reading your blog. I'm enjoying the Evelyn Sloppy book and planning a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On point settings are my favorites too... I like diagonal patterns in general! Your blocks are so pretty. I like the scrappy sashing best... I like how the middle of the blocks stand out in that version.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one big beautiful flock of ornaments! I love the scrappy sashing bests, seems to make the colors sparkle :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'd vote for scrappy sashings. The neutral sashings are not bright enough for me! Neat styluses. Have not seen any in our area.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.