HeartStrings had a New Year's weekend challenge. I made 52 blocks with purple centers. I assembled 48 of them on New Year's Eve.
Easy Street, Step 7....it's coming together!
And now, on to business:
This is the fifteenth year that I have kept track of the fabric I've acquired and used. Counting acquisition is easy. Counting use is trickier. I count the square inches in each block (e.g. a 9-patch made from 3" squares is ((3"x3)x3) = 27) and a border strip 2" x 54" is 108). A calculator makes it easy and I've been doing it this way for so long that it's second nature.
2011 was my successful no-buy year. All during 2012 I knew that I was letting up on my resolve, but until the tally I didn't know just how much I'd let up. (It's rather like dieting before a big event, then gaining all that weight back.
Though I bought more than I ought to have, I did accomplish quite a lot. I am uncomfortable having many works-in-progress, so I push ahead to the flimsy (unquilted top) stage. I can live with flimsies for a very long time. This year I determined to reduce the inventory of flimsies.
In 2012 I finished 39 flimsies myself, had 5 flimsies professionally quilted, and gave away 3 flimsies.
I created 29 flimsies, of which 21 are finished (they are counted in the 39) and 1 was given away.
In addition I made 1 cloak, 65 Care Bags, 1 pillowcase, 65 Christmas ornaments, and 5 potholders. I emptied 89 spools of thread.
As 2013 begins, there are 18 flimsies in the box. My quilt-related goals for the year:
* End the year with 10 or fewer flimsies (that means I need to keep up with any new projects)
* Buy less and use more
* Improve proficiency at a minimum of two techniques (e.g. y-seams or a specialty ruler)
[Objective: by January 15 determine what those two techniques are.]
May the coming year be piece-filled and peace-filled for you all!