Monday, November 5, 2012

DWM: triangles, HeartStrings, and a finish (already!)


Triangles in waiting


"Round up and trim down" is my preferred method for making half-square triangles (or, more accurately, triangle-squares).  The trimming was always tedious: press open, cut two or three or sometimes four times to square up the unit.  I'm grateful to Nancie V. for introducing me to Eleanor Burns' Triangle Square Up Ruler.  The trimming is done prior to pressing. Two cuts, every time. 

The open-toe quilting foot broke after about five years and miles of quilting.  The nearest Pfaff dealer is 30 miles away. Fortunately a replacement foot was in stock. While I was there I bought another quarter-inch foot. (One of the pins in the foot I've been using is getting loose; when it comes out the foot is not usable.)  Look at the difference between the old (left) and new (right). There's more to grip and hold the fabric to the feed dogs. Good idea.

old and new feet
Before I got the new quilting foot I pulled out 2" strips and made another HeartStrings quilt top.  I start with 10" foundation squares that are miscellaneous fabric (uglies or poly-cotton....not suitable for a quilt top).  Click here for more information about the HeartStrings Quilt Project.

And, finally, a fast finish!  Homespun Friendship is quilted and bound.  I meandered in the stars and sashes.  I'm getting more proficient with "almost feathers" in the border.  (See the previous blog post to see the entire top.)

I've used 14 yards of fabric this month! 

You can see what other quiltmakers are working on at Judy's Design Wall Monday.


 

1 comment:

  1. Your quilts are beautiful! I'm glad you were able to replace your foot so quickly... my local dealer closed so I'd have to wait for mail order.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.