Print Friendly and PDF With Strings Attached: Holiday Weekend

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Holiday Weekend

It was a pleasant weekend, both at DH's and at my house. We had our first long rambling walk of the season though the riverside park. (No mosquitoes yet.) I put in some tomatoes and basil. I am so not a vegetable gardener but maybe this year I'll get a crop. It was nice to sit out on the patio yesterday afternoon! (What a contrast today: it's 38 as I type this, going up to 60. Brrr.)

A half-step forward, a couple of steps sideways, and a leap back . . . that's my stash story. I spent much of last week working on a quilt that will be a wedding gift. After I got the blocks assembled I realized I didn't have the "right" border fabric. Joann Fabrics had a holiday sale with 10% off the entire purchase so I got fabric for the border and the back AND 10 yards of quilt batting (also on sale) AND just a few other yards. But it was all on sale!
I used up a stack of 3" squares making mini 9-patch blocks. I have discovered that these are fun to have on hand when "just sew something!" urge strikes. 200 mini 9's uses 1-5/8 yards of fabric.

Here is Step 5 of the Crush mystery. The orangey fabric is one of my purchases from England specifically for this project. The purple just looked right, and I used the same purple in all the blocks (rather than a variety of purples). I'm not going to try to figure out how the entire quilt is set--I'll wait until Bonnie tells us!


P.S. As for that border fabric (see second paragraph): it did not pass the audition. I'll have to ponder the design, and my stash, some more.


4 comments:

  1. Your OC blocks are looking great. I love to sew 3" nine patches, too and also have about 700 1 1/2" nine patches sewn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blocks - I can't wait to see how they look with your step 4 blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That orange is a great print - it hs so much texture the blocks really have life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still on step 5-hope to finish it & begin construction at our weekly guild sew day Wednesday. I think I want to set the blocks on the straight rather than the diagonal. Your blocks don't look as if they have as many eeeuuuww fabrics as mine do!
    Roslyn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping to read my blog. I can't respond to every comment, but be assured that I appreciate each one.